All the latest news and views from the CPSU team
C’wealth public sector pain set to worsen
THE Commonwealth Public Service is already feeling the strain of cuts, and next week’s budget is likely to do more damage to services that Australia’s most vulnerable rely on.
A survey of more than 50 Commonwealth agencies showed that:
- 70% of respondents reported job cuts in their workplace over the past 12 months
- 87% reported understaffing and unfilled positions
- 64% reported a reduction in quality and more mistakes due to staff cuts
- 50% reported increased customer waiting times
- 46% reported increased customer frustration and aggression
- 36% reported more unpaid overtime being done in their workplace.
With the Federal budget looming, it’s tipped that these services are likely to suffer further after the budget is released on Tuesday.
CPSU National Secretary Nadine Flood said the message from Members was that services were under unstainable pressure already.
“The Government can pretend it can make cuts without hurting services, but this survey shows that is simply not true,” Ms Flood said.