All the latest news and views from the CPSU team
Victorian State Budget: focus on restoring services
VICTORIAN public services have faced severe cuts in recent years but yesterday’s state budget has sought to re-establishing vital public sector jobs and services.
• $250m going to Child Protection, an increase of $65m, adding 140 new staff (110 ongoing and 30 fixed-term)
• 400 new Custody Officers to free up police to go back to their duties in policing roles, instead of working in custody cells
• Savings of $30m are coming from cutting labour hire contacts
• Government expenditure is up from 2.5-3%
• $81m in Family Violence initiatives
• $2.9b to state education
• The state wages policy is expected to be 3.5%, with expenditure on salaries for the public sector is expected to increase by 7.1% over the year due to increasing staff numbers and anticipated pay rises.