All the latest news and views from the CPSU team
Rally: A Fair Go for Tassie Workers
WORKERS gathered on Parliament Lawns today to call for laws ensuring a percentage of all content and jobs on major projects in this state are Tasmanian, and to demand Tony Abbott rips up his job-destroying trade deal with China.
6 REASONS TO BE ANGRY:
– The major government-sponsored Parliament Square redevelopment project will bring in mainland plasterers and overseas glass to Tasmania, even though all work can be done by locals.
– The government-owned Spirit of Tasmania is employing over 100 overseas workers for the vessels refurbishments – that’s 44% of the workforce and it’s excluding locals from jobs.
– The Australian crew of the Alexander Spirit was sacked and replaced by overseas workers.
– Chinese companies who invest $150 million or more will be able to bring their own workforces to Australia without having to offer jobs to Australian citizens and residents first.
– Chinese-produced products will be able to enter the country with no safeguards to ensure they meet Australian standards.
– Chinese companies don’t have to meet the same labour and environment standards as Australian companies – undercutting our jobs and conditions.